Saturday, July 16, 2011

SARR's women's 5k run

I woke up early this morning to meet up with my girlfriends to run the SARR's Women's 5k. I was so skeptical of running this race and feared that I'd do horrible. I thought I'd be happy with 8 min miles, but reality said it would be ok to settle with 8:30 min miles. I've only been running for 2 weeks since taking about 4 weeks off. But, like always, I headed to the front of the line and took off like a bandit at the sound of the horn. I made it to mile one in about 7:10. I was in shock, but pleased, wondering how long I could maintain this pace. I hit mile two right under 15 minutes. Still hanging in there. After mile 2, I still felt like I was moving at a decent pace, but I knew I wasn't running another mile in the 7 minute range. I crossed the finish line at 24:34. A full two minutes slower than the culinaria 5k I ran back in May, & finished 2nd in my age category. I was satisfied with my time and happy I was done:)! Placing was farthest from my mind.

After my girlfriends crossed the finish line (they all did AWESOME!) & we made it to the post race festivities area, we took a look at our times that were posted. Would you believe it, but I PLACED 2ND in my age category!!!! No way! I was definitely in shock! The girl in my category (25-29) that placed 1st, averaged 6:04 and there was no one in between her awesome time and my so, so average of 7:55! How uncommon is that?!?!?! Of course I was ecstatic that I placed. It was definitely a confidence booster, let me tell you:). I placed 20th overall out of over 500 runners. VERY proud of myself and girlfriends who rocked this 5k:)

Saretta, Kira, me & Deb after crossing the finish line
Had to get a picture w/ Beamer from News 4!

I was in shock after seeing the print outs! I placed 2nd!!
2nd and 3rd place winners receiving our medals! woohoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment